Thursday, February 5, 2009

Memoirs of a Geisha

After having read the book Memoirs of a Geisha, I had high hopes for the movie. You'd think I would have learned by now that reading the book first is not a good idea.

OK, it's not that this is not a good movie. It really is a good movie. I'm a fan of Michelle Yeoh, and she did a great job as Mameha. And Ziyi Zhang's portrayal of Sayuri was spot on. Kôji Yakusho was good as Nobu as well, but I was disappointed they took away part of that character's "handicap" as that was really what made him the person he had become in life. The acting was wonderful and the visuals were beautiful. I love the narration aspect of it. For some reason narration movies really appeal to me.

I was a bit disappointed by the elements that were missing in the movie. If I hadn't read the book and known the background of some scenes, I think I would have been a bit confused by them. I know I would have at least had a different idea as to why certain things were happening.

I know that it is virtually impossible to bring a book to the silver screen without making changes and leaving some things out. Movies would be way too long if they contained every detail of the novels they were based upon. That being said, this really is a good movie. If you haven't seen it, it's worth renting. Just be warned, if you've read the book, it's not quite the same. If you haven't read it, you will want to after seeing the movie.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

well dat was a pertinent analysis....... though i've also read da buk first.... nd i always go 4r readin da buk first then watchin da muvi.... nd ya ending was diffrnt ...... but overall i was also vry impressed by the way charcters were potrayed.... :)