Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What About Eartha?

I have to say, I am disappointed. I watched the Oscars on Sunday, as you know if you've read my last two posts, and as usual they had the little montage paying tribute to those in the movie industry who passed during the year since the last Academy Awards show. I thought someone was missing, but wondered if maybe I had just missed a face or two on the screen. So, I hit play on the DVD (yes, I recorded it) and it appears I was right. No Eartha Kitt.

I wonder how they could have missed someone of Eartha Kitt's caliber. Yes, I know she was known more for her sultry singing voice, but she had parts in over 60 different television shows, movies and cartoons. She is known to generations of viewers...even to children today as Yzma in The Emperor's New Groove, its sequel and the television spin-off.

Now, I know timing is often a factor. Roy Scheider died on February 10, 2008, but did not make last years tribute montage for the 80th Academy Awards broadcast on February 24. He did make it to this year's video. Ms. Kitt however passed on December 25th, plenty of time to have her among the others lost to Hollywood in the memorial montage. So, what's the deal?

And I have to wonder if certain people are left out on purpose. Actor Brad Renfro died on January 15, 2008 and was left out of the memorial last year. He wasn't a legend by any means, but that doesn't mean the potential wasn't there, and that the movies and television shows he worked on weren't worth seeing. (His first role was in The Client with Susan Sarandon.) I think the story of his death was "lost" when Heath Ledger died exactly one week later. A sad, obscure ending to a tragic life.

But, I digress. I wonder who else may have been missed this year. Eartha was a legend, and her fans will always remember her, even if the Academy does not.


No comments: