Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Oscars

Tonight's the night. Hollywood is holding its collective breath. Who will win the coveted gold statue? Of course, most people, me included, think Heath Ledger will get the Best Supporting Actor Oscar tonight, and that is as it should be. His performance was pure perfection.

Then of course there is the movie Slum Dog Millionaire, which is basically the little movie that could. I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say if it's as good as the hype, but the buzz certainly is good. I don't think anyone will be very surprised, or even disappointed, if this one wins Best Picture. But, considering it's going up against movies like Milk and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, I think it has its work cut out for it.

This year marks the first time since I was a kid that I will actually sit and watch an awards show. (Well, I at least plan to. I tend to go to bed early, so this may be a fight.) I used to watch all types of awards shows...Oscars, People's Choice, Grammys...but I guess I grew out of them. And to tell you the truth, they got kind of boring. Stale, if you will.

I have high hopes for the Oscars this year. Hugh Jackman is hosting, and he really is a great showman. (Not to mention just plain yummy to look at.) Let's hope he can perk this show up a bit this year.

Tune in tomorrow.....



No comments: