Monday, August 18, 2008

The Mummy: The Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

The same day we saw The Dark Knight, we also saw The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. As a matter of fact, we saw this movie first and walked out wishing we had just skipped it. Disappointed? Yeah, you might say that.

I am a Jet Li fan. It's just amazing, watching him in his movies' fight scenes. He makes it look like a dance. So, when I saw how little he fought in this movie, that was a big disappointment. There was a fight scene with Brendan Fraser, but it just wasn't long enough to really show Li's prowess. Most of the Li fight scenes were actually done with the CGI creature he had become as the mummy.


The whole father/son relationship between Rick and Alex O'Connell (Brendan Fraser & Luke Ford) didn't fit at all. They just didn't connect. And as much as I like Maria Bello (Been a fan since her ER days.) there just wasn't any chemistry between her and Fraser either. I think it would have been a safer bet to write the character of Evelyn out as opposed to recasting it.
There were some good scenes in this movie. I loved the Yeti. They were pretty funny and helped to bring back some of the feeling of the original mummy movie. The scene where Fraser's character is hurt and they have to get him to the fountain....well, it was more than cliche. It was way over-done cliche. Reminded me too much of the scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when Indy's father is injured and they have to get the holy grail in order to heal him.
This isn't the worst movie I've ever seen, and I'm sure I'll see worse in the future. But, if you haven't seen this one yet, it's worth it to wait until it comes out on DVD.

No comments: