Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Get Smart

When I was a kid, I spent some summers with my dad in Minnesota. He had a small, one-bedroom apartment and I slept on the pull-out couch, which was absolutely fine with me. I'd sit up late and watch reruns of great shows; Batman, Streets of San Francisco, Kolchak: The Night Stalker...

One of the shows I watched was Get Smart. I had all but forgotten about watching that one until I recently rented the movie. You can tell they did a good job with it since it brought back all the old feelings of the original.

Steve Carell did a great job as Agent Maxwell Smart. As a matter of fact, I can't think of anyone else who could have pulled it off. And Anne Hathaway was a good pick for the role of Agent 99. As a "team," they were a good fit and hopefully we will see them together again...either in a sequel or maybe even a different project altogether. And Dwayne Johnson (AKA The Rock) was funny as heck. He's actually turning into a pretty good actor, and is not afraid to poke a bit of fun at himself even.

I caught one cameo by a veteran of the original series, and it was a quick one. But fun all the same. And I will say there was one scene I could have done without (I think I've mentioned my aversion to bathroom-type humor in earlier posts.), but it was a very short scene, so not much of a big deal.

This was a very funny movie. The only thing I can think of that would have made it better would have been for Don Adams to have been alive to make an appearance of his own. He would have like this one.


No comments: