Sunday, November 9, 2008

Stephen King's The Stand

I am a big fan of Stephen King...well, his older work anyway. His newer stuff just isn't up to par if you ask me. Out of everything his has written, The Stand is by far his masterpiece. Most people know, there are two versions of the book. I read the second, uncut version and loved it.

Which brings me to the 1994 mini-series based on this book, also a masterpiece. This movie stuck with the story pretty well, something that rarely seems to happen now-a-days. Now, it's not perfect since it was based on the original release of the book, a bit shorter than the uncut version. And of course some characters were omitted and others combined for the sake of simplification for television. But I don't think it loses much if anything along the way.

For those not familiar with the story, The Stand is set in a time when what appears to be a biological weapon is accidentally released from a military base. As Captain Tripps, as the illness comes to be called, tears its way through the population, survivors are drawn to two very different people who exemplify good and evil. Mother Abigail Freemantle (Ruby Dee) is a servant of God, while Randall Flagg (Jamey Sheridan) appears to possibly be the Devil himself. A great battle is brewing and the prize is the world itself.

Gary Sinese is great, as usual, and was a wonderful choice for the character of Stu Redman. Even Molly Ringwald, whom I had serious doubts about, did a great job as Frannie Goldsmith. The cast is a veritable who's-who of Hollywood talent, some very well-known at the time, some not so much. Out of all of them, I have to say Rob Lowe as Nick Andros was probably my favorite. He was great as the deaf-mute Andros and deserved more raves for his work than he actually received at the time.

Even after 14 years, this movie really holds up. I've even watched it in its entirety in one sitting and not been bored or frustrated. That's saying a lot for a mini-series. I haven't read the book in quite a while though. I think it's about time I dig it out again.

No comments: